New Media in BC's English Curriculum: Assignment #1 Reading Review - Part A


When I am not acting as a teacher-librarian, I am an English teacher.  As the implementation date for new curriculum at the grade eleven and twelve level is fast approaching, I am wondering how to effectively implement the grade eleven option of New Media for English Eleven.  I am also wondering how, in my role as a teacher-librarian, I can support not only myself, but other English teachers in their implementation of the New Media focus.  I currently teach English Eleven and know from class surveys that many English Eleven students are interested in a focus on New Media (I have polled my classes over that past three semesters to see what areas of English they are most interested in).  In response to their interest I have brought blog articles, youtube videos, on-line articles, and on-line visual and audio media into the English Eleven course.  I’ve also given them opportunities to create and respond to content using power point, prezi, and i-movie, but I do not have the skill set to take this any further.  My own students are frequently more skilled at using technology to create content than I am, and I do not know how to help them with the technology to support their own sharing of responses and content beyond the classroom (I do not know how to help them publish their work on-line).  I am interested in having my students share their ideas through blogs and am also interested in having students create on-line portfolios for their work.  I would also like them to be able to try their hand at podcasts and youtube video publication.  These types of digital communications could be used in many subject areas other than English and the teacher-librarian should be able to support other subject areas and classes in using them.  
 The technologies I’ve mentioned would help to create a larger audience for students and would lend greater meaning and authenticity to their work.  In this way they may become more invested in their learning and more motivated.  There are also many opportunities to follow their own interests and goals when working with these technologies, and more opportunities for students to receive feedback from the wider community.   Some key words in connection to this brainstorm include:  blogging, podcasts, creation of digital content, computers, internet connection, audio and visual creation (digital), green screens, headsets, quiet space.  Topics which I may to explore to broaden my understanding in order to integrate the use of this technology in the classroom include: on-line ethical behaviour, digital citizenship, video and image publishing, strengthening students' skills in citing sources, copyright rules and teaching these to students, digital identities, securing equipment and expertise, protecting student on-line privacy. 

Comments

  1. Wow, lots of great ideas for further explorations and inquiry. These seems to be the perfect class for your professional interests. For this class, there is a good opportunity to learn the basics of blogging, how to embed and include more mult-media and for the final vision of the future assignment, an opportunity to try something new, like a video tour of your school or library to begin practicing these digital production tools so you can better support your students as they explore new ways to publish and share their work with a larger audience. You will have to narrow your inquiry down to a couple of keywords, and don't forget to search new avenues like social networks, youtube and educator blogs. Looking forward to following along!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment